Saturday, October 25, 2014

God is our goal

My goal is God Himself, no joy, nor peace,
Nor even blessing, but Himself, my God;
'Tis His to lead me there-no mine, but His-
At any cost, dear Lord, by any road.

It is not uncommon to find ourselves singing words like in the hymn above.  So often I will wonder to myself... Who wrote this,  What were they thinking, Is it truly an overflow of their heart or just nice words to put together for a song?

It is a challenging truth in life that I cannot truly call something a value in my life and not have it reflected in my actions.  We live in a society that is on a never ending journey to find joy and peace.  We are part of the church in America that too often seems to be chasing this goal as well, where God becomes a means to an end when He is supposed to be the end, the goal. And inside this society, sitting among others in the church, there is me - is my value in God Himself?  

Am I asking God into my life to walk with me and bless me?  This misses the mark.  He is the one who calls.  He is the one who leads.  My role is to respond and to follow.  And following comes at not just a great cost - it comes at the cost of everything else.

Jesus said, "Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple.  For which of you, desiring to build a tower, does not first sit down and count the cost, whether he has enough to complete it?" (Luke 14:27-28)

I do not want to be a person who is simply "dabbling" in Christianity.  This represents a lack of obedience to Christ which ultimately calls into question if I am truly following Him.  And there is an even deeper consequence when we start down this path and fail to follow Him with abandon to all else. Jesus goes on in Luke 14:29-30 to say, "Otherwise, when he has laid a foundation and in not able to finish, all who see it begin to mock him, saying, 'This man began to build and was not able to finish'."

The implication of "not finishing" is frightening in and of itself. But the one who ultimately is mocked is God.  What an unthinkable consequence to being a "casual Christian" is the mocking of the only true God.

God calls.  God leads.  God gives the power.  It is for us to choose. And if we choose to answer His call, to follow with all of our heart and not look back.

Lord God, in this society which is overwhelmed with depression and anxiety, let me not seek you for the purpose of gaining joy and peace.  I want to seek you for the purpose of finding you.  I want to find you to know you and be in your presence.  It is only through hearing your call and through the power of the Holy Spirit that I can even start this journey - and ultimately finish it.  Help me to be an example of your strength and not one more reason for people to choose not to follow you.  Give me the strength and will to not just say that I value you; but to demonstrate that value in what I do and say at all times.  At any cost.  Down any road.

 Amen




No comments:

Post a Comment