Thursday, May 9, 2013

Let no one despise you for your youth...

whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked.
1 John 2:6
 Sometimes it gets frustrating being young. Personally it makes me feel like I can't totally follow in His steps. But 1 Timothy 4:12 says, Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity. Most youth have it much easier than adults. Although that means we may not be able to do all the things that Jesus did as a man, we are able to set an example to those younger than us and even to our elders. The Bible does talk shortly about Jesus as a twelve year old boy, in Luke chapter 2, 

After three days they found him in the temple, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions.47 And all who heard him were amazed at his understanding and his answers.48 And when his parents[f] saw him, they were astonished. And his mother said to him, “Son, why have you treated us so? Behold, your father and I have been searching for you in great distress.”49 And he said to them, “Why were you looking for me? Did you not know that I must be in my Father's house?”[g]50 And they did not understand the saying that he spoke to them.51 And he went down with them and came to Nazareth and was submissive to them. And his mother treasured up all these things in her heart.

52 And Jesus increased in wisdom and in stature[h] and in favor with God and man.

These verses encourage me! They show me that although we don't usually have the freedom to go wherever we want when we are young, we can still grow in the Lord, and gain wisdom. I see how Jesus was obedient, and submissive to his parents, which is what the Bible tells us to do. So as I continue following in His steps my prayer is that I would be obedient to my parents as well as God. That I would grow in wisdom, and in stature, and in favor with God and man. That I would set the believers and example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, and in purity. What a great thing to have a head start in following Him while I am young!
-Ally

1 comment: