Thursday, May 2, 2013

What would Jesus do? Day 1

Have you ever read the novel In His Steps? One of my assignments in English was to read this novel. Within a few paragraphs this question arose,"What does it mean to follow in Jesus' steps? What does it look like?"
Some people would have no problem answering this question. I didn't. My immediate response was,"Do what Jesus did in his life here on earth." The pastor challenged the church saying, "I want volunteers...who will pledge themselves, earnestly and honestly for an entire year, not to do anything without first asking the question, 'What would Jesus do?' And after asking that question, each one will follow Jesus as exactly as he knows how, no matter what the result may be." As I continued reading I was surprised at how hard it was for one of the characters in the book to apply this challenge to his life. Or rather how much sacrifice it was to live every moment asking the question, What would Jesus do? And then live it out.
 The next day my sister and I were doing devotions and we both decided to take this challenge. That first day we were in town at a stop sign and my sister asked, "Mom, what would Jesus do if he saw a homeless person asking for help?"
She answered,"I believe he would go and talk to her."
Dani looked back at me and now my hearts beating so hard that I feel like everyone in the car can hear it. Feeling nervous and wanting to stick with this challenge, my mom parked and let Dani and I out. We asked the lady what exactly she was needing, she said she needed blankets, I then asked if we could pray with her. We quickly prayed and headed to Walmart to pick up some blankets. We brought them to her. She didn't show much emotion but I felt peace about the situation, knowing that God just wanted to see if we would obey him.
So day one and we already had an encounter. As we sat in the garage doing Bible study with my dad we shared what had happened earlier, and he just so happened to be teaching about what it means to following Jesus. How cool is that? This past year God has been slowly but surely opening my eyes to what a true Christian is. To be totally honest if my sister hadn't of said anything that day I wouldn't have gone out of my way to go and talk with this lady. I love to see God changing Dani's heart and opening her eyes as well! I now realize that truly following Jesus' example, his steps, is a lot harder than it sounds, or maybe a lot scarier.
I am so excited to see what he has in store for this year, and for the rest of our lives as we dedicate all that we do to glorify the only one who is worthy, God, and follow in his steps.

P.S. No editing my work, I know I made mistakes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment